Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Impatient Grade Six Teacher



Being a teacher is not an easy task. It requires P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E. (Long and bold!)

I was my brother’s tutor for three days and my patience was really stretched out. We studied Filipino, English, Science, Computer and TLE. We studied the endocrine system, pronouns, food groups, etc. He’s lazy on reading his notes and his attention span seems so short. He seems not listening and sometimes he would even ask questions that are out of the picture. He doesn’t take initiative on studying in advance and he slacked most of the time while I’m reviewing him. He was even more excited for their practices at school. Irritation was very apparent on my voice as I shout from time to time just to get back his attention.

But I realized I was wrong and my reactions can be considered as immature. I forgot that he was just Grade six and I am already a 4th year college student. Our level of knowledge is far different at the moment and I won’t be expecting him knowing everything so easy and fast. I remember saying out loud “ I told you already, it’s thyroid gland. It’s so easy”. Then, I observed that the more often I yell at him, the bigger possibility of losing more his confidence in answering my questions and losing his interest too. I felt guilty. I should have been more enduring and understanding. I’m sorry. I realized how important it is to recognize his correct answers and explain in the most compelling and nicest way the corrections for his wrong answers which I believe could be a lot helpful in boosting his self-confidence and interest too.

I just realized that I, myself would hate being shouted out. I just felt guilty for behaving that way. I just remember how much he wanted me to assist him to his studies. I’ll surely make it up to him.

Again, I’m sorry.




Ooops! Teaching not only requires patience, it will also demand understanding, effort and love! I think smiling will help too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment